Showing posts with label Cardinal Ranjith. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Cardinal Ranjith. Show all posts

Friday, July 14, 2017

Cardinal Ranjith Calls For Prayer and Fasting Starting Tomorrow Till July 23rd

The capital region is the most affected area. Mosquito breeding has been made worse by heavy rains. Colombo's archbishop called for “acts of fasting and penance in expiation for our weaknesses and sins."
Colombo (AsiaNews) – Since the beginning of the year, dengue fever has killed at least 225 people in Sri Lanka. It is a real epidemic, the worst ever.
The number of infections nationwide is already 38 per cent higher than last year, when more than 55,000 people were diagnosed with dengue and 97 died, this according to the Health Ministry. The capital region is the most affected area.
In view of the situation, Card Malcolm Ranjith, archbishop of Colombo, called on Catholics in the Archdiocese to observe a week of prayer and fasting, 15-23 July. "Let's pray to the Blessed Mother," he said, "and all the saints, that they may intercede for us at this time of need."
Dengue fever is a mosquito-borne infectious disease. Last month's heavy rains left the cities waterlogged, with puddles and rain-soaked garbage providing ideal spots for mosquitoes to breed and multiply.
This year's strain is particularly dangerous, said Dr Priscilla Samaraweera of the National Dengue Eradication Unit. There is no cure for any of the four strains of the virus, which causes a high fever, weeks of exhaustion and in some cases a vicious skin rash. Patients most at risk of dying are the elderly, children or those with other medical complications.
The authorities are trying to find a solution. Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena urged the public to co-operate with officials trying to fight the disease
In Colombo alone, about 25 teams of soldiers, police officers and public health inspectors were deployed in searching dengue mosquito-breeding places and clearing process door to door and advising people to clear clogged drains and empty outdoor pots that might have filled with rainwater.
In total, the government has deployed 400 soldiers and police officers to clear away rotting garbage, stagnant water pools and other possible mosquito-breeding grounds.
Card Ranjith called on Catholics to hold a novena dedicated to Saint Sebastian, protector against the plague.
"I recommend special prayers at the Holy Mass during the week,” he said, “and the possible celebration of a triduum on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, 21-23 July, in al parishes, including an eventual procession and blessing of the statue with our Blessed Mother, Saint Sebastian, and all the other saints known for their powerful intercession in our illnesses."
The prelate also called for “actions of special charity towards the needy, a campaign to eradicate possible mosquito breeding grounds, a clean-up of the surroundings, and acts of fasting and penance in expiation for our weaknesses and sins."
He ended saying, "Let us storm Heaven with our prayers and acts of renunciation, so that the Good Lord may bless our country, save it from this epidemic and grant our people blessings and good health."

AMDG

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Eucharistic Miracle in Sri Lanka? Buddhist Vandals are Forgiven by Cardinal Ranjith

(Colombo) A group of Buddhists devastated the Catholic Church of St. Francis Xavier in Angulana, in the Archdiocese of Colombo in Sri Lanka. The vandals smashed a 143 year old statue of Mary. However, their goal was the Blessed Sacrament. The perpetrators tore the tabernacle with the Blessed Sacrament from the altar, broke it up and set it on fire. According to police, at least 30 liters of kerosene were poured over the tabernacle, to put it on fire. However, by some miracle the consecrated Hosts did not burn in the tabernacle which was damaged but remained intact.

When the sacristan discovered the vandalism, he rang the church bells, so that the faithful flocked together. The Catholics of the Archdiocese of Colombo are shocked by the incident.

Many look to the integrity of the consecrated hosts as a miraculous intervention. A Eucharistic miracle, which should demonstrate the power of God, and shame the attacker, as it happened in Lanciano, Bolsena and many other places over the past 2000 years? "A great miracle has happened, mediated by Jesus in our country and it will give the attackers a message: No one can destroy Christ and His love. No one can harm Him," were the quoted voices of local Catholics by Asianews.

Pastor Christo Viraj Fernando and his chaplain Kasun Fernando condemned the violence. At the same time, they called on the faithful to remain calm, to thank God for the wonderful integrity of the consecrated Hosts to pray for the conversion of the perpetrators and to forgive them.

Cardinal Albert Malcolm Ranjith, Archbishop of Colombo has initiated investigations. The intact Hosts were brought to safety in order to allow the police, but also the church to inspect them. The Cardinal will perform the reconsecration as competent bishop for a church desecration according to church canons, before the church can be reopened for worship.

The incident occurred on 5 June at about 10 clock in the evening. Initially, Buddhist extremists were thought of as they have attacked Christians for months in Sri Lanka, but it may also be an attack from the Islamic minority. The attacks usually are a result of Buddhist extremist organizations Bodu Bala Sena and Sinhala Ravaya. A new phenomenon, the police and the public are faced with new challenges. Previously religiously motivated violence were a rarity on the island.

On Monday, the police arrested four teenagers. They are said to have done the deed while intoxicated. The facts did not correspond to the first suggestion, that there were two Buddhists and two Catholic perpetrators. According to police, all four perpetrators were Buddhists. Cardinal Ranjith has shown them the spirit of Christian love in public, such as the Sunday Times reported from Sri Lanka.

Text: Asianews / Giuseppe Nardi Image: Tamil Week Trans: Tanc

Monday, March 5, 2012

Cardinal Ranjith Against UN-Resolution on the Civil War in Sri Lanka

Arcbishop of Colombo: "Improper intervention in national sovereignty" -- but government should effect recommendations, which the national reconciliation commission have worked out.


Vatican City/Colombo (www.kath.net/KAP)  The Archbishop of Colombo, Albert Malcom Cardinal Ranjith, has spoken out against a UN-Resolution for the investigation of war crimes in Sri Lanka.   Such a step would be an "Improper invervention in national sovereignty",  said the Archdiocese according to reports of the Vatican Mission Press Services "Fides" on Saturday.

At the same time the Cardinal has called on the government of the land to put the recommendations quickly into effect, which the national reconciliation commission have worked out.  At the same time Ranjith promotes avoiding the "discrimination of races or religions".

The UN-Human Rights Council planned a resolution for Sri Lanka by reason of thousands of deaths in the end phase of the civil war from 1983-2009.  The National Army declared the defeat of "Revolutionary Tigers of the Tamil Eelam" (LTTE) in May 2009.  Human rights organizations estimate that about 40,000 civilians lost their lives in the last weeks of the civil war.  The government estimates about 9,000 deaths.

Link to kath.net... 

Monday, July 4, 2011

Reform-Cardinal Forbids Communion in the Hand

Editor: Sri Lanka, only our favorite place in the world.

Super Cardinal Ranjith on 'sanctepater.com'



The most progressive Archbishop in the world doesn't complain about Old Liberal decadence.  He rushes to act.


(kreuz.net, Vatikan) At the end of June Malcom Cardinal Ranjith of Colombo in Sri Lanka condemns the celebration of the Mass on the supper table facing the pews.

The Cardinal spoke in the framework of a conference, which took place in Rome from 20th to the 24th of June in Rome, organized by the "Missionaries of the Most Holy Eucharist".

The Priest as a Boring Entertainer

The Cardinal stressed that the Priest at the supper table is forced in the role of an entertainer.

The Second Vatican Council never talked about a Calvin Box: "The people's altar is not suitable for the fear inducing Mystery of the Holy Eucharist" -- admonished the Cardinal.

He received enormous applause for stating this truism.

The Cardinal stated that the active participation in the Mass is not an external activity rather the significance interior worship.


How does one reform a Diocese?


At dinner during the Conference Cardinal Ranjith described, according to the US Traditionalist Website 'rorate-caeli.blogspot.com' that he had abolished Communion in the Hand in his Diocese.

At the same time he restored communion rails in every church as well.

His priests may only use proper vestments in their celebration of Holy Mass.

Finally he has forbidden all of the priest, to hold syncretic Liturgies, in which elements of other religions are introduced into the Liturgy.

The Website 'sanctepater.com' has photoshopped an image of the Cardinal as a valiant superhero.

Link to kreuz.net...

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Mass of All Ages Will Outlast Newer Rites

The Pastor's Corner column on Dici makes common cause with Cardinal Koch about the Mass. Eventually one Mass will disappear. Perhaps it will be as Cardinal Ranjith envisions, the more ancient Missal of All Ages?


“Benedict XVI knows well that in the long term we cannot remain with a coexistence between the ordinary and extraordinary forms in the Roman rite, but that the Church will again need in the future a common rite... However, given that a new liturgical form cannot be decided in an office, as it requires a process of growth and purification, for the time being the Pope stresses above all that the two forms of use of the Roman rite can and must enrich one another mutually.” (Ibid.) According to Cardinal Koch, Rome’s permission of a Mass that needs no permission would be that it might ultimately disappear!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cardinal Ranjith is Talking about the "Elimination" of the New Mass

In Old Liberal Vienna, a Pius-Priest may not enter any ecclesiastical buildings. Thirty Diocesan Priests from Catholic Italy have spoken against this.

(kreuz, Paris) Dated, 13. January 2011: A very large part of the post-Conciliar love-Church "hates" the Society of Pius X.  The Superior General of the Society of St. Pius X., Msgr Bernard Fellay, said this the Sunday before last in Paris.

He explained that in the current discussions with Rome, discretion is very important.

The Society will go very intelligently with the negotiations.  They must make no false concessions.

The Bishop is pleased that Rome is generally prepared to discuss the non-dogmatic Pastoral Council.

Longing for the Catholic Teaching

In the lecture he mentioned that he was able to speak with almost thirty Italian Diocesan priests in the Diocese of Albano near Rome.

He is said to have asked the priests what they expect from the SSPX and figured they would say "the Mass".

Actually, the priests wanted "the Doctrine" from the Society.

Msgr Fellay is convinced that priests  who return to the Immemorial Mass of All Ages, will also come back to the Catholic doctrine -- but "from far away".

For they knew despite years of academic study nothing of God.

The "New Mass" has Outlived Itself

In Rome Bishop Fellay also met "very good people" -- priests, even Bishops and apparently Cardinals.

The Bishop named none.

Msgr Fellay cited however a word from Cardinal Malcom Ranjith of Sri Lanka.  He said to him: "one can not eliminate the New Mass with one stroke."

It takes more levels and will require twenty years, a whole generation.

As a step in the direction of improvement Bishop Fellay indicated the Motu Proprio, 'Summorum Pontificum'.

Not all is good with that, already: "But, a beginning has been made."


From kreuz.net....

Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Great Majority is Liberal: Predictions of Cardinalatial Appointments

A Vaticanist has published a list of the new Cardinals who will be named next week. The Pope continues the tragic tradition: talk Catholic and appoint old Liberals.

[kreuz.net, Vatican] Next Wednesday the Pope will hold a Consistory to reveal the names of new Cardinals.

This is from Vaticanist of the Italian News 'Il Foglio', Paulo Rodari.

The Consistory will be prepared for the feast of Christ the King on the 20th and 21st of November.

There should be more Prelates above 80 among the future Cardinals. They are not able to vote in the next Conclave.

To this group belong the deserving Bavarian Church Historian, Prelate Walter Walter Brandmüller (81), the former, very deserving, Choirmaster of the Sistine Chapel, Prelate Domenico Bartolucci (93) and the earlier President of the Papal Academy for Life, Bishop Elio Sgreccia (82).

All three prelates are personal friends of the Pope.

The College of Cardinals still tips left

According to information from Rodari, the Pope will name as Cardinal the old liberal Mixa-Hunter and Archbishop Reinhold Marx (57) of Munich and Freising. Msgr Marx was also responsible for the sacrifice of the deserving Abbot of Ettal on the Altar of the Media Bosses.


As expected Benedict XVI, will appoint the Directors of the Vatican Dicasteries to Cardinal. They are:


- The Catholic Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura, Archbishop Raymond Leo Burke (62) from the United States.

- The old Liberal President of the Papal Office for the Unity of Christians, Archbishop Kurt Koch (60) from Switzerland,

-The old Liberal President of the Papal Office of Cults, Archbishop Gianfranco Ravasi (67), [Another Curator of Obscene Art]

- The old Liberal Prefect of the Congregation of the Causes of Saints, Archbishop Angelo Amato (72)

- The neo-Conservative Prefect of the Congregation of Clergy, Archbishop Mauro Piacenza (66), [Not sure why kreuz.net thinks he's bad, he was a protege of Cardinal Siri after all, we'll see]

- The old Liberal President of the Prefecture for Economic Affairs of the Holy See, Archbishop Velasio De Paolis (75).

- The Apostolic Grand Penitentiary, Archbishop Fortunato Baldelli (75).

Further Candidates for the Cardinals Hat are according to Rodari:

- The Catholic Archbishop Malcom Ranjith Patabendige (62) of Colombo in Sri Lanka,

- The Old Liberal Archbishop Donald William Wuerl (69) of Washington in the United States

- The Archbishop Larent Monsengwo Pasinya (71) of Kinshasa in the Congo,

- The neo-Conservative Archbishop Paolo Romeo (72) of Palermo,

- The neo-Conservative Archbishop Paol Sardi (76), of Pro=Patron of the Maltese Order.

- Archbishop Francesco Monterisi (76), the Archpriest of the Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls.

Rodari suspects that the Pope supposedly is keeping to the rule that no Archbishop can be made Cardinal if his predecessor is Cardinal and still lives.

For this reason the Archbishops of Mechelen-Brüssel, Prague, New York, Rio de Janeiro, Bogota, Turin or Westminster will go away empty handed.

There the emeritus Archbishop of Munich, Friedrich Cardinal Wetter (82), still lives, could be an excuse, to avoid the scandalous appointment of Archbishop Marx.

According to information from the US=Vaticanist Robert Moynihan the Consistorium could be held over in the coming spring.

The reason: In the end of winter there will be at least another further six or seven seats free, to name new Cardinals for.

But also at the same time Moynihan refers to the clerical tailors of Rome, who can be expected to be "very busy" in the coming weeks.

Link to the original... Kreuz.net...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...